How Do I Describe that Scent?

Hey Beauty Bees, 

I recently went to Bath and Body Works with my Fiance to pick up some candles for our apartment when I overheard some girls trying to describe scents to each other. I heard alot of "I don't know how to describe it" or "It smells really good but what scent is that". This give me the thought to write this post about perfumes and the different fragrances that come with them.


Now every girl has there favorite scent or signature perfume. Personally, I am constantly changing between perfumes I wear because I love all the different categories of scent. The four main categories or fragrance families are Floral, Fresh, Woody and Oriental. 


Floral
Paris Amour, Daisy by Marc Jacobs, Viva la Juicy by Juicy Couture
This category is created mainly from flowers, such as roses, orange blossoms, gardenias, jasmine and carnations. These are often blended together to produce a distinctive floral bouquet or subtly warmed with a touch of spice or fruit for a soft, powdery finish.

Fresh
Country Chic, Terracotta Le Parfum' by Guerlain, Be Delicious by DKNY
This category include those scents which are aquatic-based, green or citrus. They are zesty, clean, bursting with ripe fruits, such as lemon, lime, and grapefruit and exploding with crisp greens, such as fresh cut grass and violet leaves. Some also stir cool and refreshing aquatic aromas, such as sea breeze and fresh dew.

Woody
Twilight Woods, Miss Dior by Christian Dior, Sensuous by Estee Lauder
This category refers to the strongly scented spices and woods like cedar, oak moss, patchouli, pine, and sandalwood. These fragrances will always have spices to give you a scent that is classic, strong and usually masculine but don't worry ladies it can still work for you as well. 

Oriental
Forever Red, Bon Bon by Viktor&Rolf, Guilty Intense by Gucci
This category is described as opulent, rich and warm, oriental fragrances including intensely strong ingredients like musk, vanilla, exotic flowers and spices. Because of the group's rich, musky traits, these luxurious scents make the best statement in the winter.

Tips on Applying a Fragrance
  • One should apply a scent on the pulse points, which radiate the most heat and help carry the fragrance along with it
  • Behind the ears, on the base of the throat, on your cleavage, and on the insides of your wrists are the best places to spray the scent
  • Don't rub wrists together, this breaks down the fragrance
  • Spritz some perfume into the air and walk through it to achieve a nice, light scent.

What is your signature scent? Let me know below or on twitter @leepoe1

Comments

  1. This is so helpful, I'm awful at describing scents! Day-to-day I really like fresh scents - DKNY Be Delicious or Ralph Lauren 'Ralph', but my special occasion fragrance is Chanel No. 5. It's gorgeous and rich and makes me feel like I'm a billionaire!
    Francine from The Graduate Goddess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to be horrible at describing until lately. My special occasion fragrance is Chanel No. 5 too!! I love it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or question.