How I Save Money While Shopping

How I Save Money While Shopping
Hey Beauty Bees,

As most of you have seen over the duration of my blogging, I have done a lot of hauls. I share shopping hauls not because I like to brag about what I bought or because I can not think of other ideas for posts, I just really love shopping! I feel more comfortable walking through a mall or department store then anywhere else, especially when I need to be cheered up. 

Now over the years, I have constantly been complimented on my new sweater or bag and even asked how I was able to afford that brand new expensive perfume. They also ask how I was able to buy so many things with just a small amount. The answer is I never pay full price - for anything!

I have been asked time after time on how I am able to save so much money on items like clothes, accessories, makeup and really anything else you can thing of. Today I have put together all my tips I follow on saving money while shopping.
shopping bags
Before Shopping
Location - I always start out every shopping trip by knowing the location. I look up the malls website and check out their directory as well as google the area for other stores. This will help you get an idea on prices of items since you will know if the mall is mostly high end or low end brands. I love going to Outlet malls every once in a while because you can get some amazing deals on all your favorite brands; however they are usually from past seasons.

Homework - While on the malls or specific stores website, I check for what sales are going on. I also keep in mind when certain sales are going to be coming such as semi-annual sales which are usually during January and June. Some of my favorite semi-annual sales are at Victorias Secret and Bath and Body Works where items can be over 50% off. Another great time to keep your eyes open for sales are during season changes. For example, Fall fashions are now decorating store fronts but they are putting huge discounts on all the Summer items still in store to help sell them quicker.

Holidays - Another great time to go shopping is during holidays. Companies will use any reason to get people to their stores and holidays is a perfect one. Beyond the famous Black Friday and Christmas sales, holidays like Labor Day, Columbus Day and Memorial Day all have their own sales. You can get items that you have been scoping out for a huge percentage off just by waiting for one of these holidays.


Calendar - During regular days of the year, I have come to realize that most stores put items on sale for the weekend, but those markdowns actually start Thursday night! My favorite time to go shopping are Friday mornings because the sales have started and you are the first to get to them. You also have a lot more options to choose from since they have not been picked over yet.

Coupons - A lot of stores will mail out coupons or you can print them off online, pair these with sales already in progress and you will score huge steals! I love stores like Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle that add a coupon with every purchase for your next visit. Even if there is not a sale going on, you can still get that full price sweater or beauty product for a certain percentage off. *Always make sure to read the fine print though or ask a sales person if their are any exclusions like if you can or cannot use them on clearance items. 
shopping bags
During Shopping
Get Help - I know most people think sale associates are pushy and annoying as soon as you walk into a store, but they can also be your wallets best friend. Pay attention to what they are saying because they are straight out telling you what the best deals from that store are. If there was not a person to greet you, find an employee and ask what deals are going on.

Back of Store - When I first walk into a store, I take a quick sweep of the front for any items I really fall in love with then I head to the back. This is where you are most likely going to find clearance and sale racks. It is usually the most messy and mixed up spot of the store, but with some patience and a keen eye, you will find some diamonds in that pile. 

Patience - My best tip for everyone is to just be patient. I hate buying stuff at full price because I know in a short amount of time it will be reduced to almost half. There are countless times where I have found items that I absolutely loved when they first entered the stores in the clearance rack just weeks later. If you just absolutely cannot wait go ahead and buy it. (check out Price Adjustment Policy tip below)

Trust Your Gut - Whenever I get that feeling that something is just too much for me, I always put it back. I can easily do this because I can usually find something very similar or the exact same in a different store but for cheaper. If I don't find it anywhere else and I just cannot stop thinking about it, I always have the option to go back and get it. Sometimes I even forget about the first item, which means I probably did not want it as bad as I first thought.

Cash - Using cash instead of credit will help track how much you spend as well as prevent overspending. When you have a limited amount of money on you, the possibility of impulse buying lessens.
shopping bags
After Shopping
Receipts - Not only do I love looking at my receipts after a good shopping trip and seeing how much I saved, I also love seeing those surveys at the bottom. These surveys always give the receiver an incentive to fill them out such as an entry into a giveaway of a gift card or a percentage off coupon for your next shopping trip! These surveys usually only take a couple minutes and are super easy to fill out. Sometimes the receipt already has a coupon right on it.

Price Adjustment Policy - I always like to check out stores price adjustment polices because there have been many times where I have bought items at regular price since it was the last in my size, only to realize that the next day it went on sale. Knowing the policy and time restraint can save you a ton of money if your willing to keep an eye out for it and then head back to the store. Make sure to keep your receipts because this is necessary for any adjustment. 
shopping bags
My favorite shopping days are when I find a clearance rack at my favorite store that has a % off lowest ticketed price on it and I have a coupon for my entire purchase. Just this past weekend I scored three Bath and Body Works 3 wick candles on sale for half off plus used a coupon for $10 off $30 purchase. Even by using just one or two of these tips, you will score some major deals the next time you go to the mall. 

I absolutely love seeing others save money so snap a pic of your shopping haul and tweet it to me @leepoe1.

Comments